Empowering Our Veterans - 2014
3rd Annual Empowering Our Veterans
Entrepreneurship & Employment
Are you a Veteran, Transitioning Active-Duty Service Member, or Military Spouse?
Want to be your own boss? Hands-on training sessions give you the tools you need to start a business, secure financing and market with impact.
Need assistance finding the right job? Dynamic workshops deliver tips for strategy, networking and interviewing skills for today’s market.
Need help on your resume and interview technique? One-on-one tips from HR pros will help you on the spot so that you can be in front of the pack.
Then the Empowering Our Veterans event is for YOU!
Friday, April 25, 2014
Redstone Federal Credit Union Technology Center
220 Wynn Drive, Huntsville, AL
Registration: 7:30am - 8:00am
Training Workshops: 8:00a.m. – 12:00pm and 1:00pm – 4:30pm
- Find Your Passion & Launch Your Business
- Instructor: Rodney Pennywell, Pennywell Development Company
- Business Start Up, Plans and Growth Fundamentals, Business Coaching, Resources, and maximizing the opportunities around you
- Marketing for Success
- Learn the fundamentals of a marketing plan, target marketing, lead generation and building strategic partnerships to enable your success
- Financing Your Business
- Gain a practical understanding of financing options available to small business and special programs available to Veterans.
- The Power of Your Resume
- Instructor: Kevin Hoey (Col USMC, ret, GDIT Site Executive)
- Learn from a current business executive and a military Veteran how to maximize your resume development efforts and content.
- LinkedIn for the Military Transitioner
- Instructor: Joe Paschall (LtCol USMC, ret, ASD Site Executive)
- Explore the features of LinkedIn as a networking and job search capability. Learn the pros and cons and the do's and don'ts of social media.
- Leveraging Staffing Firms in Your Job Search
- Instructor - Jeff Edwards and Mike Waller (Senior Account Executive TEK Systems Huntsville0
- Maximize the use of personnel and staffing firms as a means to assist in the job search.
- The Role of the HR Team in the Job Search Process
- Instructor - Rick Wilbourn, Dynetics Recruiter
- Explore the role that HR plays in assisting veterans in transition while seeking post military employment.
Keynote Luncheon: 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Keynote Speaker: Joe Bongiovanni, General Manager – Serra Toyota
Career Fair & Business Expo: 1:15pm – 4:30pm
All attendees can put their skills to use right away! Network with companies seeking to recruit Veterans for employment and entrepreneurship opportunities!
One-on-One Resume Review: 8:00am – 4:30pm
Direct personal assistance on building or improving your resume with an HR Pro
Translate previous experience and skills to what employers are looking for
Complete real time review, critique and correction/update of your resume with an HR expert
Learn strategies to customize your resume based upon the position you are seeking
***Bring a Soft Copy of your resume on a thumb drive to make changes and print copies on the spot!
Go through a mock Interview with an HR Pro to:
Prepare for the real thing
Assess how you respond to questions a potential employer may ask
Review how you did and where you can improve
Cost To Attend
Veterans, Active Duty & Their Spouses: FREE
(OPTIONAL lunch if registering in advance: $10)
General Public/Non-Veteran: $50 in Advance
YOU MUST PRE-REGISTER ONLINE in order to reserve your space and to receive a lunch, if desired.
Registration Closes FRIDAY, APRIL 18 at 5pm!!!
Cancellation Policy: Cancellations must be received no later than 24 hours before the event. If you are unable to attend and do not cancel by the deadline, you will not be eligible for a refund.